455g (1lb) sprats
30g (1oz) butter or margarine
4 rashers back bacon, chopped
4 x 15ml spoon (4 tablespoons) fresh brown breadcrumbs
2 x 15ml spoon (2 tablespoons) fresh chopped parsley
Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the bacon until crispy.
Meanwhile, remove heads from sprats, if preferred, and clean large sprats.
Add to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sprats are pale golden brown.
Sprinkle over breadcrumbs and parsley and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until breadcrumbs are crispy.
Serve with a crisp green salad and brown bread and butter.
Sprats (Dried) Tempered
2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
3 tbsp butter
6 medium raw potatoes, peeled and cut into small strips (julienne style)
20 Sprats/Anchovies (save the brine)
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- Saute onion in 1 tbsp butter until nicely browned
- Butter a baking dish
- Layer potatoes, onions, and anchovies (finish with a layer of potatoes)
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of the brine from the can over the top
- Dot with remaining butter (2 tbsp)
- Pour 3/4 cup of the cream over the top
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes, adding the remaining cream (3/4 cup) after 15 minutes
Janssons may be covered and reheated at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes or so and kept warm until serving.
Sprats with Kale
Ingredients500g or 4 whole sprats
1 small dried chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp Fennel seeds, crushed
150g toasted breadcrumbs
1 unwaxed Lemon, zest only
2 tsp flat leaf Parsley, chopped
2 tsp Pine kernels,
250g Kale, trimmed
50ml Olive oil
1 Lemon, juice only
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4
2. Fillet the sprats. Lay 4 fillets side by side on greaseproof paper.
Crush up then season with salt and pepper, a little of the dried chilli and half the fennel seeds, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and pine nuts.
3. Lay the last 4 fillets on top, silver side up and add the rest of the topping
4. Bake these in an oven for 5 mins.
5. Serve with blanched kale and dress with a generous portion of good olive oil and lemon juice.