|Smoked Fish Kedgeree with Basmati and Wild Rice
Ingredients; • 400g (14oz) basmati and wild rice • a little olive oil, for sautéeing • 1 large onion, finely sliced • ½ tsp turmeric • 250g (9oz) hot-smoked fish (such as kipper or mackerel) • 50g (2oz) butter • 150ml (¼pt) double cream • salt and pepper, to season • 3 eggs, hard boiled, quartered • 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
Preparation & Method
1. Cook the rice in salted boiling water.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion until soft, then stir in the turmeric and sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
2. Drain the rice and add to the pan with the onion.
Cook over a low heat, stirring until the rice has turned a yellow colour.
3. Break the fish into chunky pieces as you stir it into the rice, and reheat thoroughly for 5 minutes.
Then stir in the butter and cream. Season, top with the eggs and garnish with parsley.
Kippers with Potato and Beetroot Salad
1 kipper, filleted
1tsp crushed coriander seeds
1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 lemon, grated zest and juice
4tbsp olive oil
1tsp wholegrain mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mixed salad leaves to serve
For the potato salad:
4 - 5 new potatoes, scrubbed
2 spring onions, trimmed, washed and sliced
1tbsp chopped dill
2tbsp light mayonnaise
1tbsp shredded beetroot from a jar, drained
Directions 1. Mash the kipper fillets with a fork and remove any bones as you do this.
serves 4 - 6
6 ounce kipper fillets
1/4 pint thin white sauce
4 level tablespoons mayonnaise
pinch of ground nutmeg
1 egg, separated
1 dessertspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
gelatine to set 3 tablespoons cold water
1/4 cucumber, sliced thinly
1. Make the cream the day before it is required.
Cook the kipper fillets and leave them to cool.
2.Remove the skin and any bones and place the flesh in a bowl.
3. Mix in the white sauce, mayonnaise, nutmeg, egg yolks and lemon juice.
4.Check the mixture for seasoning.
5. Dissolve the gelatine in the water over a gentle heat then stir it into the kipper mixture.
6. Finally whisk the egg whites until stiff and, with a metal spoon, fold into the mixture.
7. Lightly oil a 1 pint dish and pour the cream into it.
8. Smooth over the surface then leave to set.
9.To serve, either leave it in the dish and arrange the cucumber slices around the edge or loosen the cream from the dish,
turn it on to a plate and arrange whole cucumber slices around the base and halved cucumber slices around the top of the cream.
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
salt and white pepper
pinch of nutmeg or mace
1. To make a roux, melt the butter in a pan. Off" the heat add the flour and stir in. Return to the heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continually. 2. For a white sauce, warm the milk in a separate pan. Heat through for easing blending but on no account let it boil. 3. Off the heat add a little warm milk to the roux. Stir vigorously until blended. Add the remaining milk, stirring all the time. 4. Return to the heat, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil. Add seasonings then cover and cook over a low heat for up to 5 minutes.
Spiced Rice with Kippers & Poached Eggs.
1.Put the kippers in a pan, cover them with hot water and simmer for 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat, cover the pan and leave the kippers in the hot water while you start the rice.
2.Crush the spices and chilli using a mortar and pestle.
Heat the oil and butter in a large deep frying pan and cook the onion until soft.
Tip in the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the crushed spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3.Pour in the stock or water and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is tender.
There still needs to be a little moisture in the pan, so if it is dry, add more liquid and continue to cook.
Taste and season.
4.Flake the fish, removing all the skin and bones.
Gently fold the fish and coriander into the rice, then cover and cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
At the same time, poach the eggs for about 2-4 minutes until the whites are just cooked but the yolks are soft.
On a plate, lay the eggs on the rice and finish with a grind of black pepper.